Writing as a Spiritual Practice Workshop
As promised, here is the resource list from Saturday’s “Writing as a Spiritual Practice” workshop, which I co-led with the great Rev. Christopher T. Copeland of Illuminating Paths. Chris and I received excellent feedback on the workshop; participants offered that they were energized by having sacred, safe space to write and the tools with which to practice their intentions.
We are looking forward to offering in the workshop again soon. If you’re interested in participating, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Per the resource list, you can find most of (if not all) of these authors and their works on Amazon. Happy reading (and writing!).
Writers’ Memoirs with Spiritual Threads:
- Andrew, Elizabeth Jarrett. Writing the Sacred Journey: The Art and Practice of Spiritual Memoir. Skinner House Books, 2005.
- Dillard, Annie. The Writing Life. HarperCollins, 1989.
- Gilbert, Elizabeth. Eat, Pray, Love. Viking, 2006.
- Hooks, Bell. Remembering Rapture. Henry Holt and Company, LLC, 1999. [chapter on “Divine Inspiration: Writing and Spirituality”].
- King, Stephen. On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft. Scribner, 2000.
- Lamont, Anne. Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life. Pantheon Books, 1994
- Lott, Bret. Before We Get Started. Ballantine Books, 2005.
- Okoro, Enuma. Reluctant Pilgrim. Fresh Air Books, 2010 [spirituality specific].
- Winner, Lauren F. Girl Meets God. Algonquin, 2002 [spirituality specific].
- Zinsser, William K. Writing About Your Life. De Capo Press, 2004.
General and Spirituality-Specific Writing Resources:
- Cameron, Julia. The Artist’s Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity. Tarcher, 1992.
- Keyes, Ralph. The Courage to Write. Henry Holt and Company, 1995.